Little Sweet P!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bonkers for Beanie Babies

Oh yes, how could I write on toys of the 90s and not include the ever popular Beanie Babies. You would have thought it was the second coming the way people went nuts over these things. I can't think of a Beanie Baby I didn't have. Oh, and the bears, the bears were the ones you really wanted. They always said they would be the ones that would be worth something. Man, I have so many of those dang bears, where is my money?
I do remember my first BB ever- Blackie. I slept with this bear and loved him until his little plastic pellets were coming out and he had to be sewn up. Blackie even went to Paris with Mom when she was away for 10 days, the first time she had ever left with me with Dad and Bub.
But let's get back to how crazy people were for these things. There was this kid, Josh Driver, whose Mom would sell beanie babies out of the back of her car. Look, I can't make this up. It was like the Beanie Baby Black Market in the back of Dogwood Elementary.
 There were even waiting lists.  I can remember being on waiting lists at the Village Toymaker that were miles long. It was like winning the lottery if you got up there to get on the list and were on the first page.
There is no telling how much money wasted on these things. They sold for about $6 a pop and I literally had dozens if not hundreds. Where are they now? Who knows, so sorry Mom and Dad, sorry I spent your money on these things, I am sure I will get my payback some day with Caleb.

2 comments:

Erica B said...

Oh gosh! I had close to 200 of these. My big brother would check a website (on dial-up AOL, no doubt) to see how much all of mine were worth. Then he would try to coax me into letting him sell them. I really should have jumped at that offer because now they are worthless and are all sitting in storage tubs in my mom's attic! I could have made a killing back in the day when the "retired" ones were hot and pricey.

Simplyheather said...

I was crazy about those things that would "be worth money" I only have a few now! I think I had every single one though! LOL

http://heatherfrostx.blogspot.com/