Little Sweet P!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Break Mom Style

Well, this past week was my last official spring break, and while you may think I'd go out with a bang, having an 8-month-old and a husband working on his doctorate kind of throws a kink in the plan, so it was Momma/Baby road trip time.

On Friday, March 11, Caleb and I were scheduled to leave out of Montgomery on a 4:25 flight to Memphis. Well, lo and behold, the flight was delayed and long story short we ended up flying out of Atlanta on a flight that was also delayed. Anyway, we made it to Mom and Dad's by 9.


Annabelle and Caleb swinging

That weekend was spent having quality Caleb and Papa time as well as some "cousinly" bonding. We even had time for a quick lunch with part of the Nicholson gang-- our non-blood Memphis family.

Monday it was off for the road trip part of our Spring Break. Mom, Caleb and I drove 9 and a half hours to Kansas City. While many may think we are crazy to undertake such a trip with a little one, he was an angel. I think he fussed for more than 2 minutes once-- which stopped once we set up a dvd player and got the little guy watching Barney (yes, I am a terrible mother plopping my baby in front of a screen, but endless hours in a car call for desperate measures).


Our reason for going to KC was to visit family and friends. We spent the majority of our trip with my dad's youngest sister, Aunt Lori, and her three kids. (Uncle Kev was out of town). Aunt Biff was even able to come in for a day, and we were also able to meet up with the Wombles-- my babies before my baby. Other than visiting we got shopping done-- lots and lots of shopping.
Caleb, the Womble gang and me! That place is SERIOUSLY windy!

Also, on a side note, I need to tell you if food is your thing, Kansas City is your place. Never have I EVER seen so many restaurants. I told Dad that the ratio must have been 3 to 1 when you compare restaurants in KC to Memphis (or any other place I can think of), and I am seriously not over exaggerating, it was absurd and ridiculous. However, I shouldn't complain, because quantity means options and options, in this case, means Imo's Pizza. For those of you who aren't from the STL area, Imo's is our favorite pizza and it is only found in the Missouri/Illinois area.

Other trip highlights included a much-needed outlet mall excursion and Caleb's first swimming pool experience. I loved the shopping and he loved the pool. It excites me for this summer and all that my big guy will be able to enjoy!


Caleb and Annabelle enjoying
 a bedtime story with Yammy.

Mom and I decided that splitting the drive in two would be best so we drove part of the way to Springfield on Thursday and finished the trip Friday, stopping in Jonesboro to have lunch with mom's childhood best bud Janice.
When we got back to Memphis the excitement continued with a family dinner at Russo's. It wasn't just a family dinner, however, it was the unveiling of Baby Bubbette 2's gender.... and, drum roll please,.....
Daniel and I will be having another beautiful niece. I am so excited for Annabelle-- an instant best friend for life, how wonderful.

It was a great trip, but both Caleb and I were happy as can be to get back to Daniel. Sunday Caleb turned 8 months, said "Bye-Bye" on purpose with association and pulled up without any help... the little guy is growing so quickly.

No comments: