Little Sweet P!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pondering Pogs

Ok, so let's get back to these crazy toys of the 90s. Do pogs mean anything to you? If not, I am not sure if I can decide if you even missed out on anything.

Pointless toy number two: Pogs!
 I will never forget my neighbors, Jessica and Zach, coming back from California with these things called pogs and sitting on their living room floor playing with them. It was the most pointless game ever, yet the whole neighborhood gang was entranced. You would stack up your pogs and take the slammer and hit the stack as hard as you could. I don't remember exactly the specifics, but somehow depending on how they fell you got to keep certain ones, even your friends' pogs! The build up to seeing who was going to win and get the pogs was a little too intense for my juvenile anxious self. This game alone probably took a good 4 years off my life.

You had better believe I was a selfish pog player. Fully aware that my favorite pogs could be stolen with one hit of the slammer, I would stash my favorite pogs, including my favorite stolen pogs from won games and make sure they weren't played. Hey, I was like 7, so sue me why don't you?

As to why I was so territorial over colorful pieces of cardboard, we may never know. It may be one of those things I need to seek out therapy for to find some deep hidden cardboard attachment disorder. Come to think of it I have absolutely no idea why these things ever caught on, but nonetheless they did and they are pointless toy number two on my journey through childhood toy memories.

1 comment:

Melissa Jo said...

I loved pogs growing up! You weren't the only one who stashed the good ones either!