Little Sweet P!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tales of the Tamaguchi

So, I am definitely going to have to make my second working on me on procrastination because I am yet again breaking from that series to talk about the past. Consider this my series within a series. I guess since the original one is all about things I need to work on, this can go hand in hand. It's all stuff from my past that shaped me and thus led me to where I am and what I need to work on. No? Stretching it too much? Oh well, I tried.

Anyway, after yesterday's post I was talking to Kate and I told her I was thinking about writing on the crazy toys of my generation. Then I went to class and talked with some of my classmates and laughed so hard we cried. It was at that point I decided many of these toys merited their own blogs.


Pointless toy numero uno: The ever beloved Tamaguchi or Nano Pets.
Let's just take a stroll down memory lane.

The year was 1997 and Bub had just graduated from CBHS. We were in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, at the Gros Ventre River Ranch for an relaxing week with the family. I, of course, brought along my Nano dog, Riley. I mean come on, I couldn't leave him at home, who would give my sweet pup water and belly rubs when he needed them?

So one afternoon, I am just minding my business when my cousin Matt is spotted with Riley in hand. Riley who was going on a good 70 days of life was being fed and fed and fed. Overfeeding of the Nanos was a no-no. It was merely minutes later that I watched my Riley sprout wings and digitally fly away to Nano pet heaven. Matt had done it, he had killed my beloved. How was a girl to go on with this vacation? How was I to enjoy my last few days when I was mourning the death of my loved one?

Riley and I had become one. He even came equipped with a hook so he could attach to my backpack or belt loops, whichever I preferred for the day. And now with about five minutes of overfeeding all of our good times and memories were stolen out from under us.

Ok, so maybe this wasn't as stupid of a toy as I thought when I originally was looking back. Obviously the creators of the Tamaguchi/Nano Pets were marketing geniuses. They had even found a way to give parents a break from the constant begging for a pet. I am sure something like this will come about again for our children's generation. It will probably make ours look like the computers of the earlier generations with the black screens that only displayed green text, images, etc.

Yup, the Nano pet, that is a toy that will forever be a part of my cherished childhood memories. Love it or hate it, I don't care, just let me have my memories and I'm good.

No comments: