Little Sweet P!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 17, 2011

There's rivalry and then there's this....

For those of you who haven't heard, tonight the Auburn family lost a very beloved friend-- the trees at Toomer's Corner. While it may seem strange to call some trees friends, it's more what they stood for. These Oaks were 130 years old and were home to one of the oldest traditions in college sports. It was a place of fellowship and camaraderie.

One of the saddest parts of how these trees were lost was how it was done-- by an Alabama fan.

Alabama and Auburn are fierce rivals. It is argued by many that there is no other rivalry fiercer than these two in-state rivals, and, as my friend Zach pointed out, after this heinous crime I am pretty sure any who were unsure if this was the fiercest rivalry is now convinced it most certainly is.

An Alabama fan allegedly poured mass amounts of a herbicide/pesticide over the trees a week after our comeback victory in Tuscaloosa at Thanksgiving time.  He called in to The Paul Finebaum show, a nationally syndicated radio talkshow in January to report what he had done, more or less in retaliation for Auburn students rolling Toomer's after the death of Paul "Bear" Bryant, nearly 30 years ago (a story that even Finebaum assured the caller was not true-- no matter how heated a rivalry, no one celebrates a death and this holds true for Auburn fans).

After the call, Finebaum reported it to the University, and long story short, soil samples were taken, the story checked out and our beloved trees are dying. It is reported that 65 times the lethal dose was found in some of the samples and the chances of the trees pulling through are slim to none.

Now it is very hard for me to sit here and blog on this matter and not get emotional or blast Alabama. Believe me I have had thoughts cross my mind, but I am not about to lower my standards to the acts of  one classless man.

Many are saying you can't cast a stereotype over an entire group over the acts of one man. This is true, however, it is going to be made. This news is making national headlines and people outside of Alabama, and especially the South, are hearing this and thinking what the heck is up with these Southern rednecks.

I don't know what will become of this. I have a feeling the rivalry will only get more heated. I am hopeful that Auburn will keep its class, one thing that I feel most fans here always maintain, and rise above this.

As our university president, Dr. Jay Gogue, said, let us maintain our creed and stand together as a family, and not let such heinous crimes hinder our spirit.

Still, the question remains, in sport rivalries how far is too far and what can be done to dampen the fierce hatred. I am not sure anything will ever cool these fires for good, but for now I will remain a little spiteful toward Alabama and this man and the tradition they not only took from today's fans, but from future Auburn fans like sweet Caleb.

Caleb with his toilet paper ready to roll Toomer's
War Eagle!

1 comment:

Melissa Jo said...

It's been tough on all us Auburn fans! I'm scared to drive downtown in knowing that I'll probably burst into tears!

In case you haven't heart there is a hug the tree pep rally of sorts saturday, I'm not sure what time though.